Re: compression

To: "Eric Sandeen" <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: compression
From: "Jordan Mendler" <jmendler@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:05:48 -0700
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=2/L2DdfX1jYXcMLtyiAAh6fwt2aX/8RH0BeTICBz0TA=; b=W9KLtZOnZvzbS8dD7f73Xlr30wcmPddgRwF44Dx9GN8mw+MIL+sIX29yrO8COVAR9eLvLhKfS/lrGTs5fbI90eIGKkGoWxO7MpUDwIVsoj5mwZv7686k1IxOJ9dyJoJ4g3tfll68/PaFMQjC/ZOPudakqnnru+zvCG7TQOJSk10=
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Do you know if there any plans to implement compression any time in the
somewhat near future?

Thanks, Jordan

On 9/11/07, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jordan Mendler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I searched the mailing list archive and could not find an answer. We are
> > currently using XFS on Linux for a 17TB Volume used for backups. We are
> > running out of space, so rather than order another array, I would like
> > try to implement filesystem-level compression. Does XFS support any type
> of
> > compression? If not, are there any other ways to optimize for more space
> > storage? We are doing extensive rsyncs as our method of backups, so
> gzipping
> > on top of the filesystem is not really an option.
> >
> > Thanks so much,
> > Jordan
> >

> No native compression in xfs... and it's not got a lot of space
> overhead, to start with.
>
> If you're keeping multiple copies of things via complete nightly rsync
> backups, there are mechanisms that just symlink files which haven't
> changed... Or, have you looked into incremental backups via xfsdump?
> Dunno if any of that helps, or if you've already thought of such
> things.  :)
>
> -Eric

[[HTML alternate version deleted]]