Re: compression

To: Jordan Mendler <jmendler@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: compression
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:39:52 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jordan Mendler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I searched the mailing list archive and could not find an answer. We are
> currently using XFS on Linux for a 17TB Volume used for backups. We are
> running out of space, so rather than order another array, I would like to
> try to implement filesystem-level compression. Does XFS support any type of
> compression? If not, are there any other ways to optimize for more space
> storage? We are doing extensive rsyncs as our method of backups, so gzipping
> on top of the filesystem is not really an option.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Jordan

No native compression in xfs... and it's not got a lot of space
overhead, to start with.

If you're keeping multiple copies of things via complete nightly rsync
backups, there are mechanisms that just symlink files which haven't
changed... Or, have you looked into incremental backups via xfsdump?
Dunno if any of that helps, or if you've already thought of such things.  :)

-Eric