Re: XFS + RAID1 strange message

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS + RAID1 strange message
From: "Dawid 'Kuba' Chrzan" <qba@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:29:44 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:25:18PM +1000, David Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:10:58PM +0200, Dawid 'Kuba' Chrzan wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I got linux box
> > Linux gepard 2.6.17-pp3 #6 SMP Tue Feb 13 12:50:39 CET 2007 i686 unknown
>
> You *really* don't want to be using that kernel for XFS. Please
> upgrade to at least 2.6.17.7 to avoid the dir2 corruption bug
> in that release.
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#dir2

It seems that i have to upgrade on all servers.

> > When i reboot , halt the server i always get
> > Jul 12 18:25:14 gepard kernel: Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: md2
> > (logdev: internal)
> > Jul 12 18:25:14 gepard kernel: Ending XFS recovery on filesystem: md2
> > (logdev: internal)
> >
> > such errors. Only on md2.
> > qba@gepard:~$ mount  | grep md2
> > /dev/md2 on /usr type xfs (rw)
>
> I assume you mean when the system boots - those timestamps are from your
> boot log above. What is it that you think is incorrect about these
> messages? They are information indicating a successful log recovery
> which means your /usr filesystem is not being cleanly unmounted by your
> shutdown scripts. This is just saying that log recover occurred on
> that filesystem and everything is ok.

Yes , these are system boot logs.
I understand completely that this is log informing about recovery of
log.
But why ? It seems that i have to investigate why /usr was not clenly
unmounted.

> > Is it normal message , and i should not worry about it?
>
> Yes, you'll see this message for any filesystem that wasn't cleanly
> unmounted and if it succeeds then you have nothing to worry about.

I know i know.... I was thinking rather about this if it is usual on
raid1 - or some bug with xfs on raid.

Thanks for help and advice.

--
Pozdrawiam, Dawid 'Kuba' Chrzan
http://f-net.pl  qba_nospam_@xxxxxxxx

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson,
Nintendo Inc., 1989.