Re: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume

To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume
From: David Robinson <zxvdr.au@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:29:51 +1000
Cc: "'linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-pm <linux-pm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
David Greaves wrote:
This isn't a regression.

I was seeing these problems on 2.6.21 (but 22 was in -rc so I waited to try it).
I tried 2.6.22-rc4 (with Tejun's patches) to see if it had improved - no.

Note this is a different (desktop) machine to that involved my recent bugs.

The machine will work for days (continually powered up) without a problem and then exhibits a filesystem failure within minutes of a resume.

I know xfs/raid are OK with hibernate. Is lvm?

I have LVM working with hibernate w/o any problems (w/ ext3). If there were a problem it wouldn't be with LVM but with device-mapper, and I doubt there's a problem with either. The stack trace shows that you're within XFS code (but it's likely its hibernate).

You can easily check whether its LVM/device-mapper:

1) check "dmsetup table" - it should be the same before hibernating and after resuming.

2) read directly from the LV - ie, "dd if=/dev/mapper/video_vg-video_lv of=/dev/null bs=10M count=200".

If dmsetup shows the same info and you can read directly from the LV I doubt it would be a LVM/device-mapper problem.

Cheers,
Dave