Re: [patch 1/3] Fix XFS_IOC_FSGEOMETRY_V1 in compat mode

To: David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch 1/3] Fix XFS_IOC_FSGEOMETRY_V1 in compat mode
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 17:22:58 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

--On 31 May 2007 12:30:31 PM +1000 David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 02:59:55PM +0200, Michal Marek wrote:
i386 struct xfs_fsop_geom_v1 has no padding after the last member, so
the size is different.

That's a pain - it's kind of clunky having to redefine the entire
structure just pack it differently. Oh well, not much that
we can do about it...

Could we get rid of it?
Do we really need to support XFS_IOC_FSGEOMETRY_V1 anymore?
IRIX has 4 versions, and Linux has the latter 2 versions
(though xfs_fs_geometry() still has a bit of code for 'em all).
And the current version would have come in June 2002 with v2 logs
on Linux.
Who would want to use XFS_IOC_FSGEOMETRY_V1?

Okay it turns out a whole bunch of our xfs-cmds :-)
(Such as xfsdump as Michal mentioned)
On Sep/2002, Nathan changed a bunch of them to use v1.
 xfsprogs-2.3.0 (03 September 2002)
       - Several changes to geometry ioctl callers which will make
         the tools useable on older kernel versions too.
So he did this so that new tools would work on the older kernels which
didn't support the new geom version.
So I guess we are stuck with v1 now.
Oh well, just a thought :)

--Tim