Re: xfsdump/xfsrestore question

To: Leon Kolchinsky <leonk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump/xfsrestore question
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:19:55 -0500 (EST)
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Leon Kolchinsky wrote:

Hello All,

I have a question about xfsdump/xfsrestore usage on Linux.

I'm running Linux 2.6.19-gentoo-r5.

Now I have 2 disks,
/dev/hda is my system disk
/dev/hdc is a disk I want to use for backups.

This is how my fstab looks like:

/dev/hda1               /                       xfs
noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    1 1
/dev/hda2               none                    swap            sw
0 0
/dev/hdc3               /var/tmp/portage        xfs
noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0 0
/dev/hdc2               /data                   xfs
noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0 0
/dev/hdc1               none                    swap            sw
0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660         noauto,ro
0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto            noauto
0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults        0 0

shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs           nodev,nosuid,noexec
0 0

Now the questions:

1) If I get the xfsdump synax correctly I just have to do:

# cd /
# xfsdump -f /data/backup.file /

Is it right?
What about opened and "currently in use by the system" files? Are they
backuped in a proper way? What about tmpfs like /proc, are they been
ignored?

2) If I'd have to restore my system from the dump, how would you recommend
to do it? Booting from LiveCD and making # xfsrestore -f / data/backup.file
/ ?

Would it be a bootable/operational system?
What are the expected glitches?

Best Regards,
Leon Kolchinsky

This generally looks correct, there are some options to name the tape/ID of the backup itself, you can specify them on the command line.

For ignoring certain paths, yes this works as well, you can chattr I believe (check the manpage) certain directories / files and they will be ignored by xfsdump.

Justin.