Will xfs_growfs succeed on a full file system?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Will xfs_growfs succeed on a full file system?
From: "Geir A. Myrestrand" <geir.myrestrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:19:27 -0500
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Does xfs_growfs depend on some space left on the file system in order to be able to grow it?

I have a colleague who ran into an issue where a file system resize failed. The file system is 100% full.

Aside from analyzing what happened in his case, should XFS be able to grow a file system that is 100% full?

The device has already been expanded, it is the XFS file system that fails to resize. I just wonder if that is by design, or whether it is an issue.

--

Geir A. Myrestrand