EXTENT BOUNDARIES

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: EXTENT BOUNDARIES
From: Les Oxley <les@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:27:38 -0800
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

We are looking into running XFS on a 3TB FLASH MEMORY MODULE. We have a question regarding the extent boundaries.
See the attached PowerPoint drawing, xfs.ppt We are running Linux.
Our media is 3 million contiguous 4KB blocks. We would like to define an extent size of 1MB and this tracks the erasure block size of the flash memory, and that greatly improves perfomance. We are trying to understand where XFS places the extent boundaries with reference to the contiguous block sequence. Is this deterministic as indicated in the drawing ? That is, are the extent boundaries on 256 block boundaries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Les Oxley
Ampex Corporation
Redwood City