Re: Possible performance problem introduced between kernel 2.6.15 and 2.

To: fdegrassi <francesco.degrassi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Possible performance problem introduced between kernel 2.6.15 and 2.6.17 on xfs code
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:41:32 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
fdegrassi wrote:
The specific problem is related to gnome point-n-click only.
Anyway, I could be wrong, but i don't think it is a bug in gnome because:
1. it affects specifically local XFS filesystems only
2. the problem is not present on kernel 2.6.15 (I tested 2.6.17 and 2.6.15, both on ubuntu 6.10) 3. the problem does not manifest if i disable the call to gnome_vfs_forget_cache, that, for what i understand, simply calls fadvice POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED.

More info can be found on gnome bugzilla entry.
Francesco Degrassi

Thanks. I didn't mean to suggest that it was necessarily a gnome bug, just wanted to narrow down the problem. Do you have any idea if other filesystems on 2.6.17 also show this slowdown?

-Eric