Re: Review: xfs_start_page_writeback should use clear_page_dirty_for_io

To: David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Review: xfs_start_page_writeback should use clear_page_dirty_for_io
From: David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:31:40 +1100
Cc: xfs-dev@xxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 10:51:46AM +1100, David Chinner wrote:
> As has been discuss on LKML w.r.t to an ext3 corruption bug
> (http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/16/164), we should not use clear_page_dirty()
> as it can result in inconsistent state within the VM and is likely
> to go away very soon. Instead, we should be using clear_page_dirty_for_io()
> which does the right thing. Some references:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/20/204
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/20/295
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/20/310
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/20/362
>
> Linus's patch fixes the corruption seen on ARM, so is likely to be merged
> (potentially as a stable 2.6.19.x fix).

FYI, Linus has already commited his patches and this patch to his git tree.

http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=fba2591bf4e418b6c3f9f8794c9dd8fe40ae7bd9
http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=921320210bd2ec4f17053d283355b73048ac0e56

Cheers,

Dave.