Re: Directories > 2GB

To: David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Directories > 2GB
From: Nathan Scott <nscott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:07:15 +1000
Cc: lord@xxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 11:55 +1000, David Chinner wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 04:53:02PM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> > You might want to think about keeping the directory a little
> > more contiguous than individual disk blocks. XFS does have
> > code in it to allocate the directory in chunks larger than
> > a single file system block. It does not get used on linux
> > because the code was written under the assumption you can
> > see the whole chunk as a single piece of memory which does not
> > work to well in the linux kernel.
>
> This code is enabled and seems to work in Linux. I don't know if it
> passes xfsqa  so I don't know how reliable this feature is.

It did at one point - though I've not tested that combination for
awhile, I expect it will still work fine.  It should - the
artist-formerly-known-as-pagebuf does handle multiple discontiguous
pages, and the dir2 code is using that memory in a way thats going
to work correctly, IIRC.

cheer

--
Nathan