Re: is quotacheck fast with xfs?

To: Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex+lists-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: is quotacheck fast with xfs?
From: Nathan Scott <nscott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 08:15:01 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 22:42 +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a 500GB mail server with 200 users presently with reiserfs. At
> boot time quotacheck takes close to one hour.
>
> Would quotacheck be faster on xfs?

Yes, typically - XFS uses its internal "bulkstat" code to speed up
the inode scanning process (and it only needs to be done once, on the
initial mount, and then XFS "remembers" that the check has been done,
for subsequent mounts and it journals all updates to the quota files),
whereas the userspace quotacheck(1) program is filesystem independent
(IIRC) and doesn't implement such optimisations.

FWIW, quotacheck time is a function of the number of inodes in the
filesystem, not the number of users.

cheers.

--
Nathan