Re: Concurrent mount of XFS over SAN

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Concurrent mount of XFS over SAN
From: Jan-Frode Myklebust <mykleb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:13:10 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 2006-08-07, Heilige Gheist <hgheist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's obvious that I can always fall back to the inter-node heart-beat
> to ensure that only one node is mounting the filesystem.
> I'm just wondering if there's any facility or accepted practice to
> enforce it.

STONITH (Shoot The Other Node In The Head) trough smart power switches
or management adapters in the node.

SCSI reserve/release ... No idea how reliable this is on a SAN, but the
ServeRAID-version works great. http://www.linux-ha.org/ServeRAID

Export the volume group, or scsi device on the first node, before
importing/attaching it on the second .. Probably best to use together
with STONITH, in case the first node fails on unmounting/exporting.

BTW: I think XFS on IRIX had the owning node name in the file system header,
and only would allow this node to mount the fs. But I can't find this now...
Maybe it's gone, or maybe it was in xlv.. ?

  -jf