Re: "xfs_io -c chattr +i " on a symlink

To: Dan Am <xfs@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "xfs_io -c chattr +i " on a symlink
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:13:17 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dan Am wrote:
On Fri, August 4, 2006 6:20 am, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
I always disliked open/ioctl for this.  I think we should actually have
a separate syscall for chattr, etc. (FreeBSD does this I think?)

So how does "attr -s someAttribute symlink" work ? This does the job very
well, distinguishing it from other filesystems.

attr(1) sets the extended attribute and they are set by system calls.
It looks like you would need the -L option to attr(1) which ends up
calling the lsetxattr() syscall via the libattr library.
(Inode attributes shouldn't be confused with extended attributes, EAs, -
 a cause of much confusion for me and others in the past :)

--Tim