Re: Userspace cp and ls utility

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Userspace cp and ls utility
From: Jan Dittmer <jdi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:34:19 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen schrieb:
Jan Dittmer wrote:

You could also try xfs_copy, it makes a copy of the filesystem and works on the underlying device, with the filesystem unmounted. There's a man page for it.

Is there any difference to using dd when the destination is no xfs
filesystem? And if I read the description correctly it does not allow
to copy individual files?

xfs_copy knows about the xfs format, so it only copies what it needs to. dd will copy every bit on the source disk. So, xfs_copy is more efficient. There is no option to copy individual files.

Depending on the problem with your original filesystem, perhaps xfs_copy might not be the best choice.

Well I suffered from the 2.6.17 endian bug and had fun with dis- and re-
appearing folders upon xfs_repair and mount runs.
After all the 'only' thing I lost from my 600+gb volume are one or two
mailing list folders and most of my inbox (for which I've backups).
Seems to only affect folders which were open at the wrong moment.

Now I reformated the whole volume and restore the data from other
disks.

Jan