Re: Userspace cp and ls utility

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Userspace cp and ls utility
From: Jan Dittmer <jdi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:17:04 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen schrieb:
Jan Dittmer wrote:

Are there utilities for xfs which are able to ls and
cp from an _unmounted_ xfs volume? I fear that by
mounting the volume - even ro - I would lose even more
data.
Or can I achieve such an effect with other xfs related
utilities?

Mounting ro should be fine - if you also mount with "norecovery" then truly no IO should happen. If you're really paranoid, find a utility to mark the block device itself as read-only, then you've taken it out of the filesystem's hands completely.

Thanks for the suggestions. Meanwhile I found the norecovery option
myself and got most of my data back. Strangely enough I had one top
directory missing on one mount attempt (only ro option) and it appeared
again on the next attempt (ro + norecovery).

You could also try xfs_copy, it makes a copy of the filesystem and works on the underlying device, with the filesystem unmounted. There's a man page for it.

Is there any difference to using dd when the destination is no xfs
filesystem? And if I read the description correctly it does not allow
to copy individual files?

Thanks,

Jan