Re: XFS breakage in 2.6.18-rc1

To: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS breakage in 2.6.18-rc1
From: Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:08:30 +0100
Cc: Torsten Landschoff <torsten@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 23:57, Nathan Scott wrote:
[snip]
> > of programs fail in mysterious ways. I tried to recover using xfs_repair
> > but I feel that my partition is thorougly borked. Of course no data was
> > lost due to backups but still I'd like this bug to be fixed ;-)
>
> 2.6.18-rc1 should be fine (contains the corruption fix).  Did you
> mkfs and restore?  Or at least get a full repair run?  If you did,
> and you still see issues in .18-rc1, please let me know asap.

Just out of interest, I've got a few XFS volumes that were created 24 months
ago on a machine that I upgraded to 2.6.17 about a month ago. I haven't seen
any crashes so far.

Assuming I get the newest XFS repair tools on there, what's the disadvantage
of repairing versus creating a new filesystem? What special circumstances are
required to cause a crash?

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.