Re: XFS and write barrier

To: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS and write barrier
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:28:57 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 12:48:56PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> What are those intermittent IO errors? I googled but did not find a
> discussion of this change.

write barriers are enabled by default now, they have been for some
months (since the end of March)

> Does anyone have any hint as to why this may have been the case?
> Thing is that the system went down, the kernel crashed while it was
> in use.

usually in the case of a kernel crash the disks are able to ti flush
(unlike with power loss) so i wouldn't expect barriers or the lack of
them to affect things here

> I am suspecting that the kernel went down due to other instabilities
> and then XFS got corrupted by out of order writes.

yes, if writes are misordered and some are lost, then it's possible to
have a corrupt filesystem when you come back up