Re: Anyone use xfs_growfs under Linux?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Anyone use xfs_growfs under Linux?
From: Rainer Krienke <krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:37:12 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Am Freitag, 7. Juli 2006 05:48 schrieb Chris Wedgwood:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 09:52:03AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> > AFAIK you cannot change the kernel's view of the partition size
> > while the partition is mounted.  Adding the extra disk has to be
> > done with the partition (and hence the filesystem) offline.
> > xfs_growfs works on mounted filesystems.  My comment mistakenly
> > merged the two, quite separate, requirements.
>
> for parition tables that's correct, but if he is using LVM or similar
> it should work w/o needing to remount

It does. I am doing exactly this on several XFS filesystems that reside on
LVM2 logical volumes. In this case there is no need for umounting the fs.
Without taking the fs out of service in any way  I can simply resize the LV
and then run xfs_growfs.

Have a nice day
Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html