Re: BUG with inode allocating

To: Nickolay <nickolay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: BUG with inode allocating
From: Mike Montour <mmontour@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:58:28 -0700
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nickolay wrote:
> root@192_168_15_15:/usr/protei$ xfs_db -r -c freesp /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
> can't seek in filesystem at bb 134217728
> can't read btree block 0/16777216
> can't seek in filesystem at bb 1744830464
I don't know what that's all about (although Google suggests it may be a
bug in old versions of the xfs_db command -
http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2003-02/msg00077.html ).
> [...]
>   from      to extents  blocks    pct
>      1       1      32      32 100.00
This says that all of your free space is in single blocks, which would
explain why XFS can't allocate a new chunk of inodes. However the total
amount of free space here is much less than your previous 'df' showed
(and there were the other errors above) so this may not be accurate.

If you can temporarily move some large old files (ones written before
the filesystem became fragmented) off this partition you might free up
some larger extents. 'xfs_fsr' might also help if you are able to free
up enough temporary space for it to work, however I do not have any
direct experience using this tool.