Re: XFS breakage in 2.6.18-rc1

To: Christian Kujau <evil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS breakage in 2.6.18-rc1
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:01:38 +1000
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 05:27:24PM +0100, Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Nathan Scott wrote:
> > 2.6.18-rc1 should be fine (contains the corruption fix).  Did you
> > mkfs and restore?  Or at least get a full repair run?  If you did,
> > and you still see issues in .18-rc1, please let me know asap.
>
> well, at least for me, corruption/errors *started* with 2.6.18-rc1:
> I downgraded to 2.6.17.5 and the errors stopped. Now I've upgraded to
> 2.6.18-rc2 and see the same errors:
>
> xfs_da_do_buf: bno 16777216
> dir: inode 24472381

This is an ondisk corruption - downgrading the kernel will not
resolve it.  The problem must be triggered by a combination of
operations on a directory; I'm certain that if you access inode
24472381 on your filesystem on 2.6.17, that it'll shutdown your
filesystem too.  See the FAQ entry for a description on how to
translate inums to paths, and also the repair -n step to detect
any corruption ondisk.

cheers.

--
Nathan