Re: [patch 01/45] XFS: corruption fix

To: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch 01/45] XFS: corruption fix
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:24:59 +1000
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, stable@xxxxxxxxxx, Justin Forbes <jmforbes@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@xxxxxxx>, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chuck Wolber <chuckw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wedgwood <reviews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, torvalds@xxxxxxxx, akpm@xxxxxxxx, alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mandy Kirkconnell <alkirkco@xxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:27:37PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >Fix nused counter.  It's currently getting set to -1 rather than getting
> >decremented by 1.  Since nused never reaches 0, the "if (!free->hdr.nused)"
> >check in xfs_dir2_leafn_remove() fails every time and xfs_dir2_shrink_inode()
> >doesn't get called when it should.  This causes extra blocks to be left on
> >an empty directory and the directory in unable to be converted back to
> >inline extent mode.
> >
> Is there a utility to fix such directories or will they autoshrink once the fs
> is run with a 2.6.17.7?

An xfs_repair is required.  There is a remaining issue with repair
where it cannot resolve some particular types of directory trashing,
but for the most part I believe xfs_repair will resolve this (please
report if not).  We're working on improving the way xfs_repair deals
with dir2 corruption atm, so this remaining problem (that funky dir2
offset problem, iow) I expect will shortly be resolved.

cheers.

--
Nathan