separate log and structure from user data device?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: separate log and structure from user data device?
From: Jan Wagner <jwagner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:49:10 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I saw with the logdev parameter it is possible to specify an external log
device on a separate disk and partition.

What would be even more interesting for my special purposes is whether
even the file system structure (inodes etc) could be placed on a
different disk?

Rationale being, when one wants to build a data recorder like a
Linux personal video recorder that is using A/V harddisks (ATA Streaming
Feature Set, or SmoothStream), one could use the A/V disk with A/V
streaming enabled to unreliably(!) write or read all the user data, and a
second disk to reliably store the actual log and file system structure on.

Yes, there is alreayd the realtime subvolume in XFS, but can it tolerate
unreliable A/V read/write? (i.e., where drive has been told to disable
and skip all read error correction and write verification?)

Very curious about this...!

thanks,
 - Jan

 Helsinki University of Technology