Re: XFS partition recovery

To: sen@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS partition recovery
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:21:08 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

Actually, looks like the superblock is fine, which is good - your
error message seems to be coming from a failed read in the log.

>         - zero log...
> xfs_repair: read failed: Input/output error
> senntb ~ # xfs_repair -v /dev/hda7
> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
> Phase 2 - using internal log
>         - zero log...
> xfs_repair: read failed: Input/output error
> senntb ~ #
>  <-------/cut------------>

So, your IDE device is returning IO errors - you're in pretty bad shape.
You have two options:
- use dd (or dd_rescue) with error-skipping-mode enabled to get what
data remains off to a working device.  Then run xfs_repair on that.
- restore from your last good backup, probably again to a different
device since the one above looks like its on its last legs.

> http://docs.cray.com/books/S-2377-22/html-S-2377-22/fixed6bhdyq9i26.html)

Yeah, from a quick look that procedure will only help you if you've
got a mountable filesystem, as you noticed.

cheers.

--
Nathan