Re: Allocations for zero length files

To: "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Allocations for zero length files
From: Shailendra Tripathi <stripathi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:17:14 +0530
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Karl,
The length will be limited to in this case to standard XFS name limit of 255 as you appear to be interested in regular file names. The difference is in symbolic links. If symbolic link is less than a constant, it is stored on the inode itself. This constant is dependent upon the inodesize(In presence of extended attributes, this constant is dependent upon some other factor as well). For example, with 256 inodesize, the maximum which you can possibly store as symbolic link is 156 bytes name.

Regards,
Shailendra

Karl O. Pinc wrote:
Hi,

If I make a zero length file in xfs is any disk allocated for the
data portion?  I'm thinking of storing lots (units of 10**6) of
small keys as empty files with names that are the keys.

I suppose some keys could be larger, is there a limit on filename
length?

(Thanks for not making me go to the trouble of coming up with
some free partition space to try this out.  I'm afriad
of loopback mount lockups, although maybe that was
all related to Linux 2.4.)

Karl <kop@xxxxxxxx>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein