Re: Older XFS incompatible with Linux?

To: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Older XFS incompatible with Linux?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:33:20 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Rikard -

This is somewhat of a FAQ:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#useirixxfs

Rikard Johnels wrote:
desktop:~ # dmesg |tail

XFS mounting filesystem sda1
XFS: nil uuid in log - IRIX style log
Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: sda1 (dev: sda1)
XFS: dirty log written in incompatible format - can't recover

the log is dirty, and Linux cannot replay it because it is an irix style log. Therefore you either need to cleanly mount/unmount the fs on Irix (not possible for you, I guess), or you could try mount -o norecovery,ro to skip the log replay, or as a last resort, use xfs_repair to zero out the log (possibly throwing away important information - I'd strongly suggest making a disk image before you do this, and do the operation on the image, not the original disk - just so you can go back if you need to)

-Eric

XFS: log mount/recovery failed: error 5
XFS: log mount failed
EFS: partition table contained no EFS partitions

desktop:~ # mount -t udf /dev/sda11 /media/cdrom/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda11,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so
desktop:~ # dmesg |tail

XFS mounting filesystem sda1
XFS: nil uuid in log - IRIX style log
Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: sda1 (dev: sda1)
XFS: dirty log written in incompatible format - can't recover
XFS: log mount/recovery failed: error 5
XFS: log mount failed
EFS: partition table contained no EFS partitions
UDF-fs: No VRS found

Does this mean the filesystem is incompatible with my XFS driver for Linux?
How can i mount this system and recover the files?

TIA