Re: Should xfs_repair make xfs_check stop complaining?

To: linux@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Should xfs_repair make xfs_check stop complaining?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:53:37 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
linux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Um, just wondering... I have a file system, on which I have run xfs_repair
six times, and xfs_check still has complaints about it.

I understand the xfs_repair rebuilds lost+found every time, so it
keeps finding unreferenced files, but xfs_repair keeps fixing things like

resetting inode 335565855 nlinks from 14 to 15

but leaves the subsequent inodes for xfs_check to complain about:

link count mismatch for inode 335565856 (name ?), nlink 14, counted 15
link count mismatch for inode 335565857 (name ?), nlink 14, counted 15

Note that they're NOT the same inode number, so it's as if xfs_repair is missing
some problems.  Looking at the multiple runs, I see different inode numbers each
time.

xfs_repair and xfs_db are both version 2.6.36.

Is this normal behaviour?  I'm used to e2fsck which complains loudly if
it leaves uncorrected errors.

Try moving lost+found to somewhere else, /lost+found2 or something, and re-run xfs_repair. Do problems still persist?

Also that xfs_repair is not the -very- latest version....

-Eric