Re: The XFS real-time subvolume in Linux

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The XFS real-time subvolume in Linux
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:41:31 -0500
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, dmarkic@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andi Kleen wrote:
Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx> writes:

That is basically true, yes.  There is a non-free GRIOV2 product in
use with CXFS, but for your purposes, I think it is safe to say that
there is no standalone GRIO equivalent on Linux.

It's not. In fact it's a standard feature now.

The CFQ2 IO scheduler has IO priorities settable with ionice, including
a RT class with 8 priorities.

It's not available in SLES9 though, only in newer kernels (2.6.13+)
and SUSE releases (like SL10.0)
-Andi

Ah, but is there a bandwidth reservation system to go with it? That is
the missing link here, being able to say 'I need 10 Mbytes/sec until
further notice'.

Steve