Re: The XFS real-time subvolume in Linux

To: Dubravko Markic <dmarkic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The XFS real-time subvolume in Linux
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:59:31 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dubravko Markic wrote:
Hello,
My name is Dubravko Markic and i am working with the XFS filesystem as part of my project. I am using a Linux operating system, or better yet, a SuSe CORE 9 system. I have installed XFS filesystem on one of the partitions on my computer. My XFS filesystem has a default configuration, which means that no real-time subvolume is enabled.

My question to you is: what do i do in order to enable real-time subvolume on my XFS filesystem?

If it is truly not enabled on your SuSE, then you will need to rebuild xfs after changing CONFIG_XFS_RT. But:

penguin3:~ # zcat /proc/config.gz  | grep XFS_RT
CONFIG_XFS_RT=y
penguin3:~ # uname -a
Linux penguin3 2.6.5-7.193-debug #1 SMP Wed Jul 20 14:39:18 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

This is a SLES9SP2 box, but it appears that recent SuSE kernels are RT-enabled.

Also if i understood correctly under Linux one does not have the GRIO (guranteed rate I/O) option, this is only available under the IRIX operating system, right? Thanks a bunch

That is basically true, yes. There is a non-free GRIOV2 product in use with CXFS, but for your purposes, I think it is safe to say that there is no standalone GRIO equivalent on Linux.

-Eric