xfs and lvm snapshots

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs and lvm snapshots
From: Alexander Fisher <alexjfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 18:26:29 +0100
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

I'm currently trying to write a backup script for my system.  I have a
number of XFS filesystems on top of LVM2, on top of RAID 1.
The idea is to snapshot the logical volumes and then use xfsdump to
perform incremental backups.  Unfortunately xfs_check finds problems
with the snapshots that didn't exist on the original filesystems such
as:

bad nblocks 41540 for free inode 6291598
bad nlink 1 for free inode 6291598
bad mode 0100644 for free inode 6291598
sb_ifree 360, counted 361
sb_fdblocks 710402, counted 751942

Given these errors, I'm not sure that I want to rely on the backups
taken with xfsdump.  Can they be ignored?!

I was under the impression that xfs_freeze shouldn't be used anymore
since it will deadlock (which it does).  I'm using Debian Sarge with
the 2.6.8 kernel it ships with.  I've also tried a 2.6.12 kernel from
backports.org.

Other than mounting filesystems read-only before snapshoting (which
isn't practical), is there anything else I can do?

Many thanks,
Alex