Re: Speed up xfsdump ?

To: Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Speed up xfsdump ?
From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:39:56 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2) The tests
> 2.a) xfsdump
> command used: xfsdump -J - /raid | dd obs=64k of=/dev/nst0
> dd shows: 5985202 bytes/sec
> I also tested with a 1M blocksize, and did not get a much
> better number (6052963).

Hmmm, are you trying to use "dd" as a buffering program?
I think there are far better programs to do such.

Heck, what do you get if you just use "-f /dev/nst0"
directory by xfsdump?
I don't think you need an external buffering program _unless_
you are streaming to a remote tape device.

> 2.b) tar
> command used: tar cf - /raid | dd obs=64k of=/dev/nst0
> dd shows: 16518724 bytes/sec

Remember that tar's default blocking is 10KiB.  So consider
using a multiple of 10KiB instead of 64KiB.

> 2.c) cpio
> command used: find /raid -xdev -print0 | cpio -0 -H newc -o
> \| dd obs=64k of=/dev/nst0
> dd shows: 15911069 bytes/sec

And cpio's default blocking is 5KiB.

> 3) Any tips to speed up xfsdump ?

Again, what does this give you?
  xfsdump -J -f /dev/nst0 /raid

Unless your tape device is remote, you shouldn't need to
buffer with an external program.

mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx     |  (please excuse any