> Thanks for the reply Christian. Point taken on the filesystem.
Just so that I understand and know that I have creted the backup device
correctly please tell me if the following steps were correct.
1) I deleted all partitions on the destination device.
2) I dd_rescued to the new device using the following 'dd_rescue /dev/hdd
/dev/hdb' (hdd being the bad drive and hdb being the good drive)
3) I ran xfs_repair /dev/hdb.
I just looked at the dev/hdb using fdisk and this is what it shows.
root@0[knoppix]# fdisk /dev/hdb
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 30515.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/hdb: 251.0 GB, 251000193024 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30515 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 24792 199141708+ 8e Linux LVM
So, it appears to have copied the information over correctly because the
entire drive was used in the LVM.
Should I have used /dev/hdb1 when trying xfs_repair assuming it's an xfs
[[HTML alternate version deleted]]