Re: Will we ever see XFS supported in Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Will we ever see XFS supported in Red Hat Enterprise Linux?
From: Jon Lewis <jlewis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:51:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

To be honest, I haven't been deploying XFS as much since the
official XFS 1.2 on Red Hat Linux 7.x (plus one 1.3 on Red
Hat Linux 9).  The Red Hat Linux 7.x installs definitely have
the most time, and I very much trust and appreciate its
availability.

If these releases were so stable, could someone from SGI please put them back up on the oss.sgi.com FTP server? I've got a RH 8.0 based system (switching/upgrading the entire distro hoping for XFS stability is not an option...if I have to do that, I'm abandoning XFS) that's really not behaving well using Red Hat's kernel RPMs rebuilt with the XFS 1.3.0 release. If there's something more stable that works (never did hear back about why NFSD in the SGI xfs-cvs 2.4 kernel is broken), I'd like to give it a try before copying a couple hundred GB of mail to EXT3.

And then there's the big damn size issue.  That's the kicker.
I'm trying put to in >1.1TB (>1TiB) filesystems and I have
to start explaining the limitations to clients.  That just
eats right into the MS FUD / Windows pundit non-sense.

huh? From what I've read, ext3 can handle up to 4TB filesystems. What problems do you run into with >1TB, but <4TB? I realize, XFS being 64-bit means it can have filesystems of inconceivable size...but after recent threads on this list about how xfs_repair needs considerable RAM in order to repair large fs's, abusing XFS's fs size limit seems a really bad idea. You may end up with a damaged fs that requires 128gb of RAM to repair. Then what will you do with that multi-TB damaged fs?

I'm not some ReiserFS puke or JFS enthusiast, I've got XFS in
production.  But it's all old systems.

Same here. Unfortunately, it was put into production without sufficient testing and has never been entirely stable.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________