Re: XFS/NFS incompatibility

To: Imran Saeedul Haque <ihaque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS/NFS incompatibility
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:38:32 +0100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 02:24:28AM -0700, Imran Saeedul Haque wrote:
> xfs version 2.6.25 (as reported by mkfs.xfs); kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r4.
>
> I am unable to mount over NFS any exported XFS file systems.  Trying to do
> so gives me:
> "mount: [mount location] failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"
>
> with [mount location] of course referring to the export. This happens over
> many different export locations.
>
> As a test, I created a 256M loopback filesystem, and exported it, keeping
> it, the directory could be remote-mounted fine. With an XFS filesystem, I
> get the permission denied error; the mount works fine if the loopback
> contains a ReiserFS or ext2 filesystem. The filesystems are exported rw;
> I've tried using both nohide and no_subtree_check, to no avail.

I've been doing lots of nfs testing on 2.6.12 + oss.sgi.com CVS and
current 2.6.13-rc TOT the last days and it works just fine.  Did you try
exporting a real partitions instead of a loopback blockdevice?  While
I don't know what problems a loop device could cause this is on of the
odd things in your setup.  The other is of course an odd gentoo build,
but I don't know how even gentoo folks could mess up nfs exporting.