Re: XFS - hard drive dying

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS - hard drive dying
From: A JM <vbtalent@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:58:09 -0400
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I tried using dd_rescue on my drive and it appeard to be copying over
the data until I got the message that there wasn't enough space on the
target disk? Very strange since they are the exact same size disk.

Anyway I thought I would try to run xfs_repair and see what happened.
I get the message on the intial startup of "Phase 1 find and verify
superblock... bad primary superblock - bad magic number!  attempting
to find secondary superblock"

It continues on and then I get the following message "Found candidate
secondary superblock error reading superblock 22 -- seek to offset
209002168320 failed unable to verify superblock continuing"

It then appears to loop and repeat itself.

Anyone have any suggestions? Why the disk space error? shoudl I format
the replacement drive before attempting dd_rescue?

Thanks,