Re: XFS, 4K stacks, and Red Hat

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS, 4K stacks, and Red Hat
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:43:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 at 10:41am, Steve Lord wrote

> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > Can anyone summarize the current status of XFS and 4K stacks?  There was
> > recently a thread[1] on the nahant (RHEL4) mailing list where it was
> > stated[2] that one reason for the exclusion of XFS in RHEL4 is the stack
> > size issue.  I'd love to see XFS in Red Hat, although of course I have no
> > idea if they'd turn it on even if the stack size issues went away
> > tomorrow.  I'm just wondering what the view of this is from the SGI side.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > [1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2005-June/msg00280.html
> >
> > [2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2005-June/msg00304.html
> >
> I have my suspicions that they could find another reason if this one was
> not present - code is too complex, they have no expertise for support....

Oh, I share those same suspicions.  The only reason I pointed at that post
is that it's the first time I've heard anything from them other than "XFS
doesn't provide anything not provided by ext3".  Note that I was ignored
in the same thread after proving that RHEL4's dump for ext3 ignores
EAs/ACLs.

> As for XFS and a 4K stack, I think it still boils down to a few edge cases,
> I have not seen one in years, I am doing all my builds via nfs v3 with
> tcp/ip to an XFS filesystem.
>
> The only stack overflow I have seen recently has been attempting to get
> device mapper multipath to work, I can make that overflow the stack just
> trying to configure it.

Hrm.  I was easily able to trigger stack overflows on a pretty simple
(albeit old) setup -- RHEL4 kernel with XFS turned on, dual PIII 450,
384MB RAM, XFS on a single SCSI disk on aic7xxx.

> Steve (who has an attitude problem this morning)

Rather understandable given the subject -- sorry to poke you with this
particular stick.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering