Re: Questions regarding stack size with RHEL AS 4.0

To: "Dan" <dranok@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions regarding stack size with RHEL AS 4.0
From: "Eric Sandeen" <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:49:04 +0200
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dan wrote:
I'm about to put together a low-end 3.2TiB fileserver for archival purposes. It will not be hit heavy and will mostly house backup archives / etc. The heaviest use scenario would be two NFS clients writing multi-GB files and two CIFS (samba) clients reading different multi-GB
files.  Since not *all* files are large files (maybe a couple million
smaller 4k-100k files) I don't want to use ext3.  I do, however, want
a single filesystem (LVM has been...annoying in the past [performance, etc]). XFS seems like the perfect option, but I'm concerned by the research I've done on the 4k stack size issue.

I think we already talked on IRC, but for posterity, I mentioned using SLES9 instead of RHEL4 for this application, because it already has tested xfs support, and it does not have the 4k stack issue.

-Eric