Running into a roadblock with RHES3, the 27.0.2 kernel, and QLogi c 2300

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Running into a roadblock with RHES3, the 27.0.2 kernel, and QLogi c 2300 drivers
From: "Harris, Jeff" <JHarris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 22:26:55 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello, we're trying to get a working XFS kernel on our RHES3 servers in
order to support a migration project. Since the standard patches won't work
against Redhat's kernels, we had to go with the 27.0.2 testing kernel from
the ftp site. The included Qla2300 driver in Redhat's kernel is broken when
working with Engenio products (IBM Fast, Storagetek, etc), and we have to
replace it with another. When building the qlogic driver, we run into no
compile errors, however, we're running into long division problems with
undefined symbols in the modules. The specific symbol is __udivdi3.

[root@pares3 qlogic-7.03.00]# depmod -ae

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.sgi9custom/kernel/drivers/addon/qla2200/qla220
0.o

depmod:         __udivdi3

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.sgi9custom/kernel/drivers/addon/qla2200/qla230
0.o

depmod:         __udivdi3

In order to get this far, I actually had to make mrproper and recompile the
entire kernel tree into a custom kernel. It's basically the same as the
sgi9BOOT kernel. Just to be clear, this kernel boots up just fine and seems
to be working okay, we just can't get our module in it. I think I might have
changed the cpu optimizations to Pentium 4.

This is running on i386, so I'm not sure why it's using 64bit symbols.

Can someone shed some light on this?

--

Jeff Harris - jharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Systems Administrator