SAN resizing disk, no LVM

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SAN resizing disk, no LVM
From: David Sparks <daves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:02:26 -0700
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I have a SAN that allows resizing of the logical disks it exports.
Basically you can increase the size of a logical disk, refresh the linux
driver and linux sees a bigger disk.

I put a XFS fs directly on one of these logical disks (ie /dev/sdb, not
/dev/sdb1).  When I change the size of /dev/sdb I can use xfs_growfs  to
gain usage of the extra space without LVM.

I have two questions:

Is using /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdb1 for a fs safe to do?  (I've never
read anything authoritative on this subject)

Are there any known problems using any of the XFS tools (xfs_check,
xfs_repair, xfs_fsr, xfs_growfs) on a fs that lives directly on a disk
(ie /dev/sdb)?

Are there and gotchas or other things I should be aware of by using a
setup like this?

TIA!

ds