Re: linux software RAID, 2.6.6, XFS, Postgres: corrupt files

To: Ian Westmacott <ianw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: linux software RAID, 2.6.6, XFS, Postgres: corrupt files
From: Dave Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:34:20 +1000
Cc: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>, James Foris <jforis@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:31:41PM -0400, Ian Westmacott wrote:

> > If you can, try to come up with a step-by-step test case so that
> > we can reproduce your situation locally - thats a huge help.
>
> I'm working on simple reproduction steps (without luck so far).
> Our procedure involves creating a database and rebooting while
> it is under load.  If I find something simple, I'll send it.

Hmmm. Is the database using asynchronous buffered I/O? If it is,
then what you are doing here is guaranteed to produce data
corruption because you are rebooting before (all) the data has
been flushed to disk.

Can you confirm what type of I/O the database is actually doing?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner