Re: ACID Question

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ACID Question
From: Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:36:35 +1100
Cc: Rick Spillane <necro351@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 10:23 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Linux does sync on fsync(), MacOS X does not (for internal drives at
> > least).
>
> This would sound extremly bad for MacOS X if true. I hope it is not.

It's true all right - you have to use a special fcntl to do a 'real
fsync'. We (MySQL) found that this was the cause of some table
corruption on OSX. Needless to say, we now do the special foo if on OSX.
Although I hate to think what other apps are out there thinking they're
safe when they're not.

--
Stewart Smith (stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.flamingspork.com/