Re: Suggestions for xfs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Suggestions for xfs
From: Robert Brockway <rbrockway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:43:54 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Mike Burger wrote:

Actually, wouldn't it be safe to say that ext2 is/was the standard FS
under linux.

After all, unless you specify that you want to use an alternate
filesystem, under any distribution, ext2 (maybe ext3, now) is used.

It has been called the "defacto standard" filesystem but this is only for historical reasons. There is no way to enforce a standard filesystem for Linux since I can wake up tomorrow and make a distro based on xiafs if I want (ok, so I'd need to patch it back into the kernel :)

I've read that ext2/3 is predicted to suffer significant performance penalties vs xfs, reiserfs or jfs for filesystems in the multi-TB range so we can expect to see ext2/3 fade in years to come.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.