defrag xfs

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: defrag xfs
From: "Wilkins, Vern" <vwilkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:09:25 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
root@vw-linux /data # df -h /dev/sdb4
/dev/sdb4              40G   22G   19G  55% /data
root@vw-linux /data # xfs_db -r /dev/sdb4
xfs_db> frag
actual 62504, ideal 440, fragmentation factor 99.30%
xfs_db>

Are there any recent efforts to have a defrag utility for XFS on Linux?  I've
seen a few discussions about this, but it appears there isn't much demand for a
defrag utility for any journaling filesystems on Linux.

This partition has been in use only about a year, and is only moderately used
for editing mp3's and large mpg's.  I'll admit I haven't seen anything this bad
on other partitions such as / or /usr, but I've encountered situations like
this enough, with all journaling filesystems, that it really gets frustrating
not being able to defrag.

Vern