RE: Unknown Issue.

To: "Eric Sandeen" <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Unknown Issue.
From: "Piszcz, Justin Michael" <justin.piszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:57:00 -0500
Cc: "Patrick" <nawtyness@xxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Andrew Morton" <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, "Kristofer T. Karas" <ktk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jeff Garzik" <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>, "Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Ok, so XVM has found something wrong at this point.  Any chance the
box
> had a power failure?  Write caches on ide drives can wreak havoc with
> journaling filesystems...  i.e. what happened between "the filesystem
> was working" and "i remounted the filesystem and got this"

For main system: To make a long story short, I was attempting to hook up
a cd burner and dvd reader to SATA via SATA<->PATA adapters and enable
SATA in the kernel for the Intel ICH5 chipset and I was trying different
drivers/options in an attempt to get them to work.  However, please note
during the entire time, the disk that suffered FS corruption was always
hooked to a Ultra ATA/133 Promise Controller.  I believe I had a kernel
panic once and at another time during either loading SATA drivers or IDE
drivers I had a lockup somewhere along the lines and I rebooted
improperly.

For Dell GX1 system: No, all I did was upgrade the kernel [2.6.9 ->
2.6.10-rc2] and reboot, no power outages or crashes at all.  After about
an hour or so, I began to experience these problems.