Re: bad superblock after lvextend

To: "Frank J. Buchholz" <frankb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: bad superblock after lvextend
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:59:46 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Frank J. Buchholz wrote:

Is it possible to repair this problem either through LVM or XFS? I noticed there are a number of achieved .vg files in /etc/lvm/archive, is it possible to restore LVM from one of these? Or is it possible to rebuild the superblock?

Are you sure your lvm volume is reassembled properly... after repair finds the first superblock, it checks to be sure it looks fairly sane, then compares it against a number of other superblocks, checking for consistency. Here it looks like it's trying to check a superblock that should be towards the end of the disk - looks like still a bit under 2T - and it's failing because it can't seek out to that location (not an xfs problem per se, this is a seek() system call that fails).

what does xfs_info on the filesystem say - I'd double check the geometry /size it reports and compare it with the size of your volume....

-Eric