Xfs partition info seems to be lost on reboot

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Xfs partition info seems to be lost on reboot
From: Melissa Terwilliger <techess@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:36:47 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I have a dual opteron SuSE 9 SLES machine running 2.6.9 kernel.  The
machine has 2 3ware 9500-12 PCI-X SATA raid cards installed with 12
250 GB drives on each card.

I can create the partitions using parted & when I mount the two
partitions  they show up correctly as 2.6 TB each and they seem to be
working perfectly.  When I reboot the system I get the error:
kernel:XFS:size check 2 failed in the kernel log and the mount command
came back bad superblock on /dev/sdb1.  I can no longer mount the
drives.  I tried doing a xfs_repair to fix the drive and I can mount
it again, but it only shows up as 513GB after that.  Then I have to go
into parted again to delete the partition and recreate it.  Again it
works until I reboot whether or not I have it set to mount in the fstab
or to mount by hand later.

When I format the drive as ext3 I don't have this problem and it is 100%
stable.  It only looses the information when I use xfs.  I'm sure I'm just
missing something but I'm not certain what.

Basically this is what I am doing to create the partitions:

#parted /dev/sdb
#mkpart primary xfs 0.0 2622488.000
#print
Disk geometry for /dev/sdc: 0.000-2622488.000 megabytes
Disk label type: msdos
Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
1          0.031 525333.742  primary   xfs         type=83
#quit

then after the partition was created I did

# mkfs.xfs -f /dev/sdc1
meta-data=/dev/sdc1              isize=256    agcount=32,
agsize=20979885 blks
             =                       sectsz=512
data      =                       bsize=4096   blocks=671356320,
imaxpct=25
             =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks,
unwritten=1
naming  =version 2              bsize=4096
log        =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=32768,
version=1
             =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks
realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0

#mount /dev/sdc1 /scr3
#df -h
/dev/sdc1             2.6T  528K  2.6T   1% /scr3

I can mount and unmount this device repeatedly with no problems until
I reboot.

Thanks,

Melissa Terwilliger
Space Physics Research Lab
AOSS Support
techess@xxxxxxxxx

-- Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They hate that.