Re: [2.6.10-rc2] XFS filesystem corruption

To: "Prakash K. Cheemplavam" <prakashkc@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [2.6.10-rc2] XFS filesystem corruption
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:50:29 -0600
Cc: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
Nathan Scott schrieb:

Did you see
any of those device errors since switching to ext3?

No. That's why I am wondering. I read about such errors like I got before in lkml and usually they were not fs related but libata siimage driver related. It could be just a coincidence that it came up with xfs, but till now (I guess 5 days now, though not 24/7 running) ext3 is behaving nicely.

It's almost certainly not a filesystem problem, but an IO layer problem. Maybe you only see it with xfs due to different disk IO patterns with xfs vs. ext3... the two will certainly be allocating & writing to the disk in different ways.

-Eric