Re: Filesystem performance on 2.4.28-pre3 on hardware RAID5.

To: mmokrejs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Filesystem performance on 2.4.28-pre3 on hardware RAID5.
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:24:26 +1100
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 11:20:35PM +0100, Martin MOKREJ? wrote:
> Sorry, fixed by soflink. Was actually http://www.natur.cuni.cz/~mmokrejs/tmp/c
rash/

OK, well there's your problem - see the slabinfo output - you
have over 700MB of buffer_head structures that are not being
reclaimed.  Everything else seems to be fine.

> If you tell what kind of memory/xfs debugging I should turn
> on adn *how*, I can do it immediately. I don't have access

I think turning on debugging is going to hinder more than it
will help here.

> to the machine daily, and already had to be in production. :(
>
> P.S: It is hardware raid5. I use mkfs.xfs version 2.6.13.

Hmm.  Did that patch I sent you help at all?  That should help
free up buffer_heads more effectively in low memory situations
like this.  You may also have some luck with tweaking bdflush
parameters so that flushing out of dirty buffers is started
earlier and/or done more often.  I can't remember off the top
of my head what all the bdflush tunables are - see the bdflush
section in Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt.

Alternatively, pick a filesystem blocksize that matches your
pagesize (4K instead of 512 bytes) to minimise the number of
buffer_heads you end up using.

cheers.

--
Nathan