Re: xfs_check problems on 3.6TB fs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs_check problems on 3.6TB fs
From: Michal Szymanski <msz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:54:34 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:00:00AM +0200, Michal Szymanski wrote:

> To resume, could someone tell me whether I can safely put my data on a
> 3.6TB XFS filesystem or not? The machine it is currently attached to
> has 4GB RAM + 2GB Swap. If this is not enough for XFS to do a
> check/repair, I would say it is not a solution for me.
>
> PS. I've just found, on http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/irix-linux.html
>
> > Linux XFS filesystems are limited to 2 Terabytes in size due to
> > limitations in the Linux block device I/O layers.
>
> Is it just an out-of-date page? Or, maybe, it is just the true reason of
> our problems?

PS2. I have made a following test: I stopped the software RAID and
created two separate XFS systems on both "slices", seen by the system as
/dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. One is just below 2TB, the other is 1.6TB.
xfs_check works silently on such a (clean) filesystem. So maybe it is
really the 2TB limit that makes the diffrence?

Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND