Re: xfs_check problems on 3.6TB fs

To: XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_check problems on 3.6TB fs
From: Frank Hellmann <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:26:32 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Michael!

Similar effects here. Basically we have the same setup (Hardware RAID5
with Software RAID0 striped together). I ran into some problems during a
xfs_repair. See these articles:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=109714077512194&w=2

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-xfs&m=109719162327429&w=2

Not to good news, I am afraid. We are currently working on a scheme to
cache our files into multiple directories instead of the filesystem
root. That as far as I can tell helps to avoid this issue. So you
shouldn't run into these during xfs_repair.

Concering xfs_check... anyone?

                Cheers,
                        Frank...

Michal Szymanski wrote:
Hi,

I have successfully installed XFS filesystem on a software RAID0
/dev/md0 partition made of two sub-2TB pieces of a hardware RAID array.
The total size is 3.6TB.

The system is a Fedora Core 2, dual Xean 3.06GHz, Tyan Tiger i7501
mobo, 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp kernel, xfsprogs-2.6.13-1.

I can mount/umount, write/read to the filesystem, no problem.

I am getting into a problem when trying to check the filesystem. It
seems a bit confusing:

fsck /dev/md0

fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)

fsck.xfs /dev/md0

(no output at all)

xfs_check /dev/md0

xfs_check: out of memory

The "out of memory" message is mentioned in the xfs_check man-page, as a
possible problem with a filesystem that is "very large (has many files)".
Well, while in terms of total capacity my FS is indeed "very large", it
is not (yet) in terms of "has many files"). At the moment there are just
three directories made there and a single file (same message with no files).

"xfs_repair" seems to work fine (although I only ran it on a cleanly
unmounted FS).

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am a bit reluctant to put my
valuable data on a filesystem which can't be checked.

regards, Michal.

Frank Hellmann          Optical Art GmbH           Waterloohain 7a
DI Supervisor           http://www.opticalart.de   22769 Hamburg
frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx     Tel: ++49 40 5111051       Fax: ++49 40 43169199